Friday, September 12, 2008

The Spanish Speaking Center's dilemma in providing food


I have proposed that the food distribution in a central location at the Salvation Army on Franklin Square. I subsequently met with Ms. Mary Sanders, of the Spanish speaking center, while she was distributing food at North Street Church location.


I asked her about the centralizing distribution and she immediately appraised me of the many meetings held by the United Way that concluded in order to help the poor, with out transportation, it is therefore their recommendation to provide scattered distribution points throughout the city.


Governor Rell did support the founding to provide the monies for the building of scattered food distribution buildings but cut a sum of $150,000 for food supplies for the annual budget to the Spanish Speaking Center.


This occurred with our local state delegation opposing this senseless Governor’s actions.


Ms Sanders in answering my question that how do you stop the individuals from going the many locations resulting in some of that food being wasted due to their not eating all the food before turning bad.?


Ms Sanders immediately stated that they are setting up a computer program in order to control abuse and will be distributing identification cards in order to evaluate how many individuals are obtaining food from several locations and why.


It is unfortunate that the center’s annual budget was slashed by the State when this center serves the community extremely well. I have to admit with my meeting with Ms. Sanders I immediately recognized that my recent statement supporting the centralized method of distribution was totally wrong. My opinion has made a 360 degree turn thanks to Ms. Sanders spending her valuable time in updated me to their needs.


I also support Ms. Sanders setting up her proposed computer program.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to see that Mr. Smith does continue to evaluate the needs of the poor and changes his position when justified.

good reading Mr. Smith on all your subjects and continue your good work.

harold of Newington

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a certain Presidential candidate could take a lesson from Mr. Smith! He is not afraid to admit when he was wrong!!

Robert of Riverdale, MD

Anonymous said...

GOV. RELL New Britain needs the fund to feed its poor.

Please change your cutt.



hungry in New Britain

Web Tracking
Online Florist