Sunday, August 19, 2012

New Britain’s Second World War Forgotten Hero Dies 8-13-12 At the of Age of 93


FRANKSMITHSAYSNB EDITORIAL:

Mr. Alex Gotavaskas served his boot camp at Camp Edwards with the 231 first infantry battalion and shortly thereafter was sent into the Normandy Invasion that occurred on June 6, 1944. He personally confided to me that he lost many of his fellow infantry companions that drowned while attempting to reach the beach. Once upon his arrival on the beach he indicated that he went from fox hole to fox hole for a period of nine months, without having a bath, citing that “he was lucky to still be alive.”
To get him to talk more of his service experiences reluctance was all I was able to get. You had to understand his sense of humor and everyone that had the opportunity to know him enjoyed his humor.

He would appear at Berlin’s McDonalds twice daily and would leave his friends without telling them he was leaving with his familiar walking gate that many tagged him as “the glider.” Always his friends would ask did Alex leave? In an attempt to get him upset I would often say I am leaving with my asking Alex to open the door for me. His reply always would be unprintable. The day prior to his death a young boy scout open the door for me and while driving home I was laughing to myself on what I would say to him unfortunately, that never occurred. One could say Alex got the last laugh on me.

A coal minor form Shenandoah Penn. he came to New Britain’s vibrant manufacturing community seeking employment, after his infantry service, and found that work at Stanley Works. After retiring with his completing 25 years of service he was hired by New Britain’s Board of Education where he again retired.

A Friend to all that we now miss.

A War Hero that the City of New Britain should “Honor” forever

No comments:

Web Tracking
Online Florist