Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Candidate Asks: Whose Side Are you on?

To the Editor:

Before I begin, I ask you to please set aside the common and popular misconceptions about Republicans, that we are all rich, racist, rude, and radical Tea-Partiers. I’m by no means rich, I’m black, I am far from rude because my mother raised me better than that and I am against radicals of either party.

Now that I’ve got your attention, I must deplore what the Common Council did at a special meeting last Tuesday. They voted for a tax increase (disguised as a fee) for most rental property owners of the city of New Britain. This was unnecessary and unjust.

First, there were a host of alternatives. If you do not believe me, feel free to call your respective aldermen/alderwomen.

Second, the meeting was moved up to an earlier date in an attempt to shove this down the throats of both the citizens of the city of New Britain and also those who might vote in the negative and would not have sufficient time to gather their thoughts and facts for the debate.

However, we made do, and by “we” I mean the Republicans on the Council along with two independent thinkers on the Democratic side. I commend you, though that is what you are elected to do.

To the others I’m simply appalled as to how you can have the Council Chambers filled beyond capacity with people showing their disapproval of this proposal and still vote in favor of it.

I can only question where your allegiances lie. Do they lie with the people you serve or to your party? Whatever the answer may be, the people of the city of New Britain and students of CCSU will now be additionally burdened. And what for?! While I await my answer, I will leave you with this thought: next year at election time the voters of New Britain will not forget how you have forsaken them.

Daniel Davis,
New Britain

[Published in New Britain Herald Tuesday, October 9, 2012]

No comments:

Web Tracking
Online Florist