Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Alderman should pay more attention to council duties


I resigned from my position as a director of the Mattabassett District in June and a letter of resignation that was properly filed with the town clerk who also serves as the clerk of the council.

I am aware of discussions that were held by the council regarding my resignation and a possible replacement during at least one meeting and yet Alderman Salvio was apparently unaware that I had resigned.

In August, he sent me a written diatribe loaded with nasty and vulgar language, in which he rambled among other things that “the Democrats can’t wait until October.” I clearly understood that to refer to my reappointment to the Mattabassett District when my term was due to expire in November, because knowing how out of touch Mr. Salvio is about most things, I understood that he incorrectly thought my term expired in October and not November when all Mattabassett appointments expire.

I understood his message to be a veiled threat regarding my reappointment. This is the type of nonsense that public officials are frequently subjected to and I have accepted that aspect of public service, but what is so troubling about this one is that the distinguished Minority Leader of our Common Council was clearly unaware that I submitted my resignation to his chamber two months earlier!

Perhaps Alderman Salvio would feel more fulfilled if he were to focus more of his energy fulfilling the duties of his elected office and that just might leave him less hate to share with the rest of us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a good reason to be glad I don't live in that crazy town.
laughing from West Hartford!!!!!

Anonymous said...

what a nut!

Anonymous said...

I'd laugh, too, if living in West Hartford, I had the likes of Frank Smith and John MacNamara involved in local politics...No, I'd probably cry my eyes out while biting my fingernails.

Frank Smith said...

Mayor Stewart:

I was delighted to hear of your plans to veto the council’s recent appointment of Leslie Jacobs to the Board of Education and I commend you for your plan to do the right thing for the children of this city.

The Republican Party worked hard to find a suitable appointee for this vacancy and they found what they believed was the right person in Jamie Giantonio. Mr. Giantonio has a background in teaching and is the parent of two young children, so he has a vested interest in the well being of our educational system.

Filling of this vacancy, being a Republican seat on the Board, should be left up to the leadership of the Republican Party, free from interference of Democratic Aldermen who appear to have other interests besides the welfare of the children in mind.

The public and more specifically, the parents, agree. I have heard from a number of parents who are simply outraged over this entire process. A long line of public members, mostly parents, spoke against this appointment at the council meeting last Wednesday, but the council simply chose to ignore them. I urge you to listen to the people of this city and do what is right for our children.

VETO THE APPOINTMENT OF LESLIE JACOBS!

Web Tracking
Online Florist