Saturday, September 20, 2008

An Electrolarynx can save your job!


As the current president of a local laryngectomee support group, I received a request from an Otolaryngology Physician to visit a new young laryngectomee, who was just operated with her becoming a new Laryngectomee and she was very depressed.


When I arrived there to visit with her I found out the reason for her very deep depression and that was the loss of her voice and was convinced that she would never be able to teach in her school again.


I immediately apprised her of the many professionals that are members of the group such as engineers, politicians, and computer web-site designers. That did not impress her one bit and she was clinging to her first thought of losing her job. I visited with her at least four or so times while she was recuperating from her surgery.


When she was ready to be discharged from the hospital she was still very extremely depressed and with her residing in the North east part of the state I arranged for her to meet with a local support group that is closer to where she lives.


This was a year and a half ago and I have recently met with the president of her local support group who informed me that they did have a difficult time with her to get her to move on with her life, at the very beginning.

But, he was very jubilant in informing me that she started teaching in her classroom again this past September with her electrolarynx.



JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU WHAT A SUPPORT GROUP CAN ACCOMPLISH IN HELPING THOSE WHO ARE IN NEED TO LEARN HOW TO SPEAK AGAIN!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to know that wonderful people are out there ready to help people who lost there voices. I do know shuch a peron who talks with a gadget and he sometimes works as a guard at my apartment building in New Britain. I will have to ask him if he belogs to this wonderful group.

Anonymous said...

I wnat to wish this school teacher who has shown great devotion to her profession by getting to courage to get back into the classroom to continue with her first love.

Teaching.

A berlin teacher's aid.

Anonymous said...

My uncle who lives in bridgeport speaks with that device. At least we can communicate with him on the telephone.

Yes the group that helped him from New Haven is just like the two groups mentioned that helped the school teacher.

they do a lot of good.

Harry, Newington, Conn.

Anonymous said...

Its great to know that she is back teaching and that her training has not been wasted.

She deserves credit for not giving up. What an example she is providing her students.

Anonymous said...

Great courage for that teacher to get back to work after such a drastic change in her way of life.

Web Tracking
Online Florist